Richmond 's Page All Soccer - Girls Stories

Soccer - Girls

Richmond ends Marine City's reign with overtime stunner WITH PHOTO GALLERY

Can not load XML: XML document must have a top level element. No results

In each of the last two postseasons, Richmond endured a season-ending loss at the hands of eventual district champion Marine City.

Tuesday evening, the Blue Devils exorcised their demons of postseasons past and effectively ended the Mariners’ reign — though it took nearly 100 minutes and ended in dramatic fashion.

Grace Aiken’s goal in the 100th minute, with 17 seconds remaining in the second overtime period, sent Richmond to a 1-0 victory and onto the District 43 quarterfinal.

“They’ve been our nemesis,” Richmond head coach Jeffrey Gil said of Marine City following the victory. “This was a big, big win for us. We knew coming in that Marine City was good and, it’s been tough getting over that psychological of getting by a team that’s beaten you every single time.

“It was important for us to play well; we came in with a game plan and we wanted the girls to execute — and for the most part, they did that.”

Both teams carried play for stretches of regulation, with Marine City holding the upper hand for most of the second half.

Momentum shifted with 10 minutes left in regulation, as Richmond started to come on and mount an attack. The Blue Devils nearly beat Mariner goalie Ashley Beattie twice in the final six minutes, only to be denied each time. Beattie made a diving stop to her left in the 75th minute and vacuumed up a scrum in front of the Marine City net in the 80th minute.

“It could have gone either way,” Gil said. “Marine City is just a great team, and we couldn’t have asked for a better match.”

After an uneventful first overtime, in which either team looked poised to apply steady pressure, Marine City came within inches of putting the ball away off a corner kick in the 98th minute — only to have the shot sail wide.

Richmond’s ensuing trip down the field would prove to be the defining moment of the game.

After Beattie made an initial save in the box, the rebound popped out long enough for Aiken to get to it and send it into the net, setting off the celebration.

Instead of heading to what looked to be inevitable penalties, Richmond was celebrating a victory.

“We told them they were going to have to fight for everything,” Gil said. “That was just a matter of who wants it more.

“And in that moment, it was us. I couldn’t be any prouder of them right now.”

Marine City head coach Chris Ming heaped praise and credit upon Richmond following the loss.

“They played their game plan extremely well,” he said. “They are well-coached, disciplined and they maintain their lanes very well.

“We had our opportunities, but we didn’t take advantage of them. They just scored one more than us.”

Richmond will return to Marine City on Thursday to take on Harper Woods in the District 43 semifinal.

Last Updated: 5/30/2017 10:00:14 PM EST