Basketball - Boys

St. Clair uses 2nd-half rally to upend Port Huron WITH PHOTO GALLERY

Can not load XML: XML document must have a top level element. No results

Game Info

Basketball - Boys - 1/10/2017 7:30 p.m.

St. Clair 59
Port Huron 39

Related Articles

On the road and shorthanded, Port Huron threw everything it had at host St. Clair Tuesday night — and for a half, it looked like it might be enough to pull the upset.

The Saints weren’t about to let that stand.

St. Clair outscored Port Huron 18-1 in the third quarter, helping turn a seven-point halftime deficit into a 59-39 victory.

“We seemed a little bit more locked in in the second half,” St. Clair head coach Shawn Sharrow said. “We moved the ball a little bit better, and in the beginning of the game, we just didn’t have the toughness we needed.”

St. Clair improved to 7-0 (2-0 MAC Gold) with the victory; Port Huron fell to 3-4 (0-3 MAC Gold) with the loss.

Ben Davidson piloted the Saints’ offense, pouring in a game-high 26 points in the win. Devin Dombrow finished with 10 points, and Tyler Zweng chipped in with eight.

Gerlad LeFlore had a team-high 12 points for the Big Reds in the loss, while Tyler Lee and Maurice Powell each added nine.

Early in the first half, Port Huron found success feeding the ball into the paint and taking advantage of its size down low.

The Big Reds opened on an 11-0 run and held the Saints to just one field goal — a Dombrow 3-pointer with 2:15 to go — in the opening quarter.

“We need better leadership in the locker room before games so we don’t come out down 11-0,” Sharrow said. “Don’t get me wrong, they (Port Huron) came out well, but on our end, it shouldn’t have been 11-0.

“I was a little disappointed we didn’t come out a little more ready to go.”

St. Clair made little headway in the second quarter, especially on the defensive end, and trailed 27-20 at the break.

The Saints turned the game on its ear in the third quarter.

St. Clair went on an 18-0 run to start the third, and would have had the quarter-long shutout if not for a Lee free throw. The Saints led 38-28 heading into the final quarter.

As fatigue set in for the Port Huron, St. Clair used its depth to stay fresh and keep the defensive pressure up.

“We were rolling guys in every two-to-three minutes to maintain that defensive intensity,” Sharrow said. “We were able to get them a little bit tired.”

While Sharrow was pleased with the way his team responded in the second half, he said his team will have to improve to stay atop the MAC Gold.

“We’ve played well in spurts, but that won’t be good enough to compete for a league title,” he said. “We can compete, but we need to do it in longer stretches.”

For Port Huron head coach Tony Giancarlo, whose team was down to seven active players, he said he was proud of the way his team performed — they simply ran out of gas.

“I’m so proud of the way those six kids played in the first half,” he said. “We made shots, and they didn’t, so good things happened.

“But it was a tale of two halves.”

Last Updated: 1/10/2017 11:11:31 PM EST