False MI Prep Zone: Late goal gives Riverview tie in battle with Milan PHOTO GALLERY
We've moved! To view our most current content, click here.
All Soccer - Girls Stories

Soccer - Girls

Late goal gives Riverview tie in battle with Milan PHOTO GALLERY

  • Riverview scored with 47 seconds left to tie the game with Milan 2-2 on April 28. Photos by Terry Jacoby

Game Info

Soccer - Girls - 4/28/2014 6:00 p.m.

Riverview 2
Milan 2

Related Articles

>> View more news

The Milan girls’ soccer team scored just 45 seconds into the game to take a 1-0 lead on Monday afternoon in Riverview. The Pirates scored with just 47 seconds left to play in the game.

In between was one of the more physical games you will see in high school soccer which resulted in one red card, one yellow card and plenty of bumps and bruises on both sides. It was a well-played game, but both teams brought out the hardware.

The Pirates’ dramatic goal in the final seconds tied the game at 2-2 and that’s how it finished on a cold and windy day in Riverview.

“I thought we played well but we have played better,” said Milan coach Lee Hudson. “We are a team that favors the short pass and possession game and playing on fields like this that are a little beat up are sort of our kryptonite. We can’t really play our style.

“But when you look at the goals we scored and their goals I guess you could say it deserved to be a tie.”

The Pirates were certainly glad to get a draw. They were down 2-0 and one player after getting a red card in the second half.

“I thought we competed and controlled most of the game, we just couldn’t put the ball in the net,” said Riverview coach Pete Cano. “Kirsten (Chambers) did a great job today. They were marking her but she was still able to get two goals.”

Cano was not surprised to see his team battle back and kick this game into the tie column.

“One thing about Riverview soccer is we always fight until the end,” Cano said. “Scoring two goals a man down, yeah, I was a little surprised by that but not that we kept playing hard.”

Both coaches agreed it was a physical game.

“We knew coming into the game that it was going to be physical and I warned my players to not get involved in that and don’t retaliate and try to play our game,” Hudson said. “My girls did a very good job of not getting into the physical side that Riverview likes to play.”

Milan’s talented Bailey Van Haren got the Big Reds kick started with the early goal to make it 1-0. Both teams had chances in the first half but they headed to halftime with Milan ahead by a goal.

“The shot was on goal but we did have a little bit of luck on our side,” said Hudson. “But it was good to get that early lead.”

A light rain did make the field a little slippery and the ball appeared to slip by Riverview goalie Miranda Cobbs, who is one of the top keepers in the area.

Van Haren got a shot on goal early in the second half and again the ball ended up in the back of the net to give the Big Reds a 2-0 lead. Then came the red card that forced the host Pirates to play shorthanded for the rest of the contest.

With 13:24 left in the game, Chambers put the Pirates on the board. The goal followed a couple of close calls at the other end of the field.

The Big Reds had the better scoring chances during the last 10 minutes. But the one that counted came with 47 seconds left when Chambers scored to tie the game at 2-2.

The Big Reds (4-1-1) play at New Boston Huron on Wednesday.

The was the Pirates’ first game back after Easter break and there was a little rust.

“I’m not worried about the goals we gave up because Miranda usually makes those saves,” Cano said. “They were both fluke goals.”

The Pirates (3-3) play Flat Rock on Friday.

Last Updated: 4/29/2014 1:53:02 PM EST