We've moved! To view our most current content, click here.
All Hockey - Boys Stories

Hockey - Boys

HOCKEY: Jags overcome two-goal deficit in third peirod and win in OT

Game Info

Related Articles

>> View more news

It was a night of comebacks for the Allen Park hockey team who had to overcome a two-goal deficit to win in overtime against Carlson on Saturday night.

The Jags found themselves down two goals at the end of two periods, but four goals in the final period and a minute of overtime gave the team the 4-3 win.

Allen Park is senior-heavy with 14 seniors on the roster and the class took care of the win, accounting for all of the scoring and assists on the night.

“Those guys finally, today in this third period, said hey, we can’t lose this game,” Allen Park Coach John Brithinee said. “We can’t lose this game; we don’t wanna lose this game.”

Carlson had dominated most of the play in the opening two periods and had the momentum heading into the third.

“The controlled the play on us in the first period,” Brithinee said. “I thought they dictated the play and in the second period, as much as I think that maybe we played a little bit better, I come out two goals down.”

Things changed almost immediately in the final outing.

Just over a minute into the game, David Pischke put the Jags on board and cut the deficit in half.

Seven minutes later, he tied things right up for a quick change of momentum.

Pischke ended up with possession in the corner and held possession until the net opened up. He swung around and again held the puck until Carlson’s Ellis Graham went down and put the shot over the goalie’s shoulder for a tied game.

Toph Mann and Metropoulos had the assists.

The teams continued to battle and after a penalty from each team, the scoring got started again.

The Jags scored their third goal in 13 minutes to take their first lead of the game as the home stands erupted.

Mann added a goal to his earlier assist, shooting over the shoulder of the Carlson net minder with 4:38 left to play.

Metropoulos had the assist.

Things had quickly shifted to Allen Park’s favor, but Carlson wasn’t about to have it.

Just over a minute later, Pat Holder put the Marauders right back in the game on a six-on-five chance on a delayed Jaguar penalty.

Holder found himself open right in front of the net and smacked it to the back of the net, unassisted.

Carlson Coach Dennis Gundick was thrilled with his team getting back in the battle.

“I told the kids in the locker room, the old Carlson team … when they went ahead 3-2, the old Carlson team would have laid down and it would have been a 6-2 hockey game,” he said. “But you guys came right back and answered the call and you tied it.”

It was an emotional battle for the next few minutes as the clock wound down and the teams traded possessions.

With 1:31 left, Allen Park called a timeout to get fresh legs as they headed into a power play.

“We were going in there with the power play (and) we Fulton, Pischke and Metro were logging some serious ice and we thought it’s time to settle them down a little bit,” Brithinee said. “It probably helped them (Carlson) just as much as it helps us.”

The rest did work for the Marauders who killed the penalty in the last minute to force overtime.

But the overtime didn’t last long.

Just nine seconds in, Mann played the puck to Nick Fulton who crossed the blue line, spun around and made the backhand pass to Metropoulos.

The senior took two strides, shot and buried the puck over Graham’s shoulder.

In the second period, Carlson took the two-goal lead and controlled most of the ice.

The Marauders got on board with 5:42 left when Dylan Nixdorf broke the scoreless tie with a shot from the point on the power play.

Holder and Austin Bliznik got the assists.

Four minutes later, Carlson added another power play goal.

With traffic in front of the net, Drew Coleman found a hole and poked one through. Alex Johnson had the assist.

Brithinee said he knew coming in how strong of an opponent Carlson would be.

“Everybody is saying it’s maybe not the win we wanted, or maybe not what we expected, but what people gotta understand is we’re playing a Dennis Gundick team,” he said. “Dennis has his team ready to play all the time.”

Brithinee said, while he wasn’t pleased with the deficit, he was pleased his team turned things around.

“The nice thing about this was I didn’t really have to go in the locker room between the second and third period,” he said. “By the time I got out here in the lobby, I could hear a couple of my seniors taking control.

“They were very animated, very vocal. I’ve learned a long time ago, less is more. Let them provide the message. And I thought they did a good job.”

The Marauders were indeed a strong opponent and Brithinee said they had an effect on Allen Park’s play.

“Sometimes good teams force other teams to play not as well as they would like to,” he said. “It’s not that we didn’t play well, it’s the other team has something to do with that.

“I thought Carlson came out with a lot of energy and they dictated the play on us. (But) overall, you gotta learn how to win these games; you really do.”

Gundick, while naturally disappointed with a loss, is not looking at the game as a loss necessarily.

“We don’t consider it a loss,” he said. “They’ve (Allen Park) been playing real good hockey (and) we come in here and took it right to them and were one shot away from winning.

“These kids have nothing to be ashamed of (and) as coaches, we’re pretty proud of the kids.”

Gundick said his team has been working hard in practices and it’s translating into game situations.

With the two-goal lead, Gundick wanted the Marauders to keep up the strong play.

“We didn’t really wanna go into defensive mode, defensive mode,” he said. “We wanted to stick to our game plan, keep on putting the puck deep behind their defensemen (and) make them go 200 feet.

“We can make them go 200 feet and we’ll be alright.”

Gundick was also pleased with the penalty kill on the night, especially at the end of the game.

“We had to kill a couple penalties (and) I thought our penalty kill was decent,” he said. “We had to kill that penalty at the end to go into overtime.

“If we don’t’ kill that penalty, there’s not overtime. I just thought the kids played well.”

With just a month until the playoffs start, both teams are looking to continue their strong play heading forward.

Carlson will next take on Riverview Gabriel Richard on Thursday while Allen Park will travel to Southgate the following night to take on the Titans.

Last Updated: 1/19/2014 12:07:26 PM EST