Wyandotte Roosevelt's Page Trenton's Page All Hockey - Boys Stories

Hockey - Boys

HOCKEY: Trenton stuns Roosevelt with a five-goal third period

For two periods Wednesday night, Roosevelt limited the high-scoring Trenton offense to just two goals, but by late in the third, the visiting Bears were on the verge of a mercy.

The Trojans (3-2, 2-2 MIHL), who came in averaging five goals a game, dominated Roosevelt (2-2, 0-2 MIHL) in the final period and scored five times on 22 shots to earn a 7-0 victory. For the night, the shots were 40-13 in favor of the home team.

Trenton’s Justin Dunn and Mitch Galea each scored a pair of goals and finished with eight points between them, as Dunn added three assists for the night and Galea recorded one.

Quinn Preston put the home team on the board first with a goal, assisted by Phil Pugliese, at the 12:04 mark of the first period, which came just as his squad finished killing a penalty.

About three minutes later, Pugliese picked up a loose puck in front of the Bears’ net and shot a backhander past goaltender Frank Cerulla for a power-play goal and a 2-0 lead. Preston was credited with an assist on Pugliese’s goal.

The Bears held the Trojans scoreless in the second, and Joe Nevalo nearly scored on a power play to cut the deficit to one goal.

“We just couldn’t get out of our own way in the second period," said Trenton Coach Mike Turner. “We didn’t play well. We took a couple interference penalties; kept giving them chances to stay in the game.”

The scoring barrage in the final period pleased the veteran head man, however.

“Anytime you can take a two-goal game and end up 7-0 that’s huge,” Turner said. “Wyandotte battled real hard all night long.”

At the final second of the second period, Roosevelt was hit with a penalty, which gave the Trojans a full-two minute power play to start the third.

The home team took advantage and Dunn buried a shot past Cerulla at the 1:22 mark, assisted by Conor Cunningham and Andrew Sawyer. For the game, Sawyer earned four total points and Cunningham ended with three.

Just 18 seconds later, Sawyer lit the lamp and suddenly Trenton was up 4-0.

Bears Coach Mike Quint replaced Cerulla in goal with Trevor Porter, but he was unable to put the fire out.

At the 6:18 mark Dunn netted his second goal of the game, a power play goal assisted by Cunningham and Sawyer.

Two minutes later, a bad bounce off the stick of a Roosevelt player led to the Trojans’ sixth goal, which was credited to Galea and assists went to Dunn and Sawyer.

With about five minutes left in the game, Galea skated in on Porter and outmaneuvered him for his second goal of the game and gave his team the 7-0 lead, which would stand as the final.

In order to avoid more late-game meltdowns, Quint said the young Bears, who have only four seniors on the roster, still need to build up more stamina.

“I don’t know if we ran out of gas, but we need to work harder in practice,” he said. “We’ll go back to the drawing board and see.

“Putting 13 shots (on goal) in three periods is not acceptable. We’ll work on some different things and try to get more pucks in net and certainly (we’re) going to work on conditioning.”

Next up for the Trojans is a big test Saturday night, as they’ll welcome in MIHL powerhouse Brother Rice for a 7:30 p.m. game. Roosevelt is also set for another MIHL contest this Saturday, as the Bears will take on Grosse Pointe North at 7:40 p.m. at Yack Arena.

Last Updated: 12/5/2013 12:25:13 PM EST

Promotions & Specials

See All