All Hockey - Boys Stories

Hockey - Boys

HOCKEY: Hockey roundup


With two victories over the weekend, Roosevelt came home as champions of the Big Rapids Thanksgiving Tournament.

Played at Ferris State University, The Bears won both of their tournament games by a score of 2-1.

In the first contest, played Friday, Roosevelt beat Traverse City St. Francis. The next day, the locals took down Big Rapids in the second game.

Griffin Maiani scored three of the Bears’ four goals over the weekend, as he netted one against St. Francis and two against Big Rapids.

To earn the victory on Friday, Joe Nevalo, along with Maiani, scored for Roosevelt and the winning goaltender was Chandler Pattenaude.

Against Big Rapids, Maiani scored once in the second period and then broke a 1-1 tie with a goal in the third period. Matt Calhoun earned an assist on the first goal and Joe Smellie was credited with the assist on the game winner. Trevor Porter was in goal for the Bears and took the win.

Roosevelt is in action again tonight with a game at Trenton and Saturday night the Bears will welcome in Grosse Pointe North.


For the second consecutive season, Huron traveled west and played in the Jackson Thanksgiving Tournament.

The Chiefs came in as reigning tournament champs, but were unable to repeat. They beat Jackson United 8-7 in the first game, but were dropped 7-4 by L’Anse-Creuse in the second contest.

Against Jackson, Jesse McGowan led the way with a hat trick and finished the game with five points. McGowan, along with Devin Collins, earned All-Tournament honors.

The locals jumped out to an early 4-1 lead with goals from Collins, Giovani Buscemi, Aaron Pyzik and McGowan. Collins and McGowan scored unassisted, while McGowan and Collins earned assists on Buscemi’s goal and Jamison Cobb got the assist on Pyzik’s.

Huron extended its lead to 5-1 in the second period on McGowan’s second goal of the game, assisted by Collins. From that point, the Vikings charged back with three goals and made it a 5-4 game heading into the third period.

Less than two minutes into final period, Pyzik scored his second of the game, assisted by Christian Nill and Tyler Graves, and gave his squad a two-goal advantage.

A few minutes later, Jackson hit back with a pair of goals, scored just 47 seconds apart, and tied the game 6-6.

As time ran down, McGowan finished off his hat trick and put Huron up 7-6, but Jackson was awarded a power play soon after and cashed in to tie things up.

With 34 seconds left in the game, Nill found himself alone in front of the Vikings’ goaltender and buried the game winner for Huron.

McGowan earned an assist on the final goal and in the Chiefs’ net Tyler Keller wrapped up the game having stopped 17 of the 24 shots he faced.

In the contest with L’Anse Creuse, the Chiefs grabbed a 2-0 first-period lead, courtesy of goals from Zack Pawleszeski and McGowan.

On the first goal, Pyzik and Justin Collins earned assists and on the second, assists went to Josh McGowan and Andrew Miller.

The Lancers scored the next four goals, but the Chiefs came back with one from Cobb, assisted by Miller, and made it a 4-3 game.

In just 25 seconds, L’Anse Creuse scored twice and went back up by three goals again.

Pyzik added another goal to pull within Huron two, but the Lancers scored one more time and ultimately handed the Chiefs a 7-4 defeat.

Huron is in action again tonight, as the Chiefs are scheduled to take on Pontiac Notre Dame Prep at the Taylor Sportsplex.

Flat Rock-Airport

The Flat Rock-Airport hockey team rallied from a three-goal deficit to tie Bishop Foley Saturday night on the road, but fell 5-4 in overtime.

Ryan Eyler, who recorded a hat trick in the game, gave the Jets an early 1-0 lead with a goal in the first period.

In the second period, Foley responded with three power play goals and took a 3-1 lead against the locals. Throughout the contest, 24 total penalties were called between the two teams.

Less than a minute into the third period, the Ventures added another goal and grabbed a 4-1 lead.

About two minutes later, however, Eyler scored his second goal of the night and sparked his team’s comeback.

Halfway through the final period, Eyler lit the lamp again and it was suddenly a 4-3 game.

Just one minute later, the Jets’ Justin Farrah tied the game and it remained deadlocked until the end of regulation time.

Inside the final two minutes of overtime, Foley was able to get one by Jets’ goaltender Michael Vella and skated off with the 5-4 win.

For the night, Vella stopped 38 of the 43 shots he faced.

The Jets took on Ann Arbor Pioneer yesterday at home and are scheduled to play again Thursday night against Richard.

Bucs edge GI

After getting an early lead over Riverview on Nov. 26, the Grosse Ile hockey team fell 2-1 to the Bucs after a rough second period.

The Red Devils fell victim to penalties, six to be exact, in the middle period and it was too much to overcome.

“We were playing great,” Grosse Ile Coach Jason Durbin said. “Then the second period comes along and there’s six penalties.

“There’s 12 minutes out of 17 that you’re short.”

Alec Pflum scored the lone Grosse Ile goal in the opening period.

Riverview tied things up on a five-on-three in the second period.

The Bucs won a faceoff in the Red Devil zone and found Tyler Rode who shot it in.

The game-winning goal came in the third period when John Clemente found the back of the net on an even-strength goal.

Durbin said penalties have hurt his team lately.

“We just took too many penalties,” he said about the loss. “Second periods have killed us lately.

“Other than that, in the third period we kind of regrouped a little bit, but we took too many penalties (and) you’re not gonna win a game like that.”

Durbin said overall, he thought it was a good game for both teams and would have liked to see how the game played out without the penalties.

A highlight for the Devils was the play of sophomore goaltender Jordan Gilbert.

“He’s gonna hold us in there every game and give us a chance to win,” Durbin said.

Offensivley, Durbin said he would like to see a few more guys find the back of the net but says it will come in time.

“Overall it was a good first period for us and we can build on that going forward,” he said. “We’ll build off our last game and minimize the chances that we give the other teams on the power play.

“We’ve got to find a way to capitalize on the power play. We’ve got a lot of work to do, but it’s early in the season.”

The Red Devils have a busy week ahead of them with three games in five days.

Yesterday they hosted Chelsea and will take on Monroe Jefferson Thursday before traveling to Crestwood on Saturday.

The Bucs are off until Dec. 10 when they host Monroe High.

Richard beats Carlson

Richard took on Carlson last Wednesday and skated to a 5-2 victory in what was the only action of the week for both teams.

Playing on the home ice of the Marauders (1-3), The Pioneers (2-0) were outshot 12-8 in the first period, but grabbed a 1-0 lead thanks to a goal from John Hodgson, assisted by defenseman John Ames.

In the second period, Richard padded its lead with two more goals.

Hodgson netted his second of the game, and seventh of the season, assisted by Ames and Eric Blevins, and Devin Dickow scored unassisted.

Soon after Dickow’s goal Carlson was able to mount a comeback and pulled to within one.

Andrew Coleman netted a second-period shot for the Marauders, assisted by Gage Dawga and Pat Holder, and just two minutes into the third Holder found the back of the net to make it a 3-2 game.

The Carlson charge was halted, however, and the Pioneers pulled away with goals from Brandon Damron and Ames. Assists went to Hodgson and Lavine on Damron’s goal and Tyler Rinney earned the assist on Ames’ goal.

Pioneers Coach Rick DeSana said he’s pleased with the way his squad responded in what a tough game against a well-coached team.

“It was nice to our players step up and get some scoring from different lines-and our defensemen,” he said.

Richard goaltender Christian Spangler stopped 36 of the 38 shots he faced in his team’s 5-2 win.

Carlson is in action again tonight, as the Marauders will take on Dearborn Heights Crestwood on the road. Next up for the Pioneers is a home game tomorrow night at Southgate Civic Arena.

Cabrini loses a pair

With losses against Monroe United and Royal Oak Shrine Unified last week, Cabrini remained winless for the season.

Last Wednesday, the Monarchs (0-4) welcomed in the Monroe Trojans and were dropped 5-3. Three days later Cabrini took on the Shrine Knights, on the road, and suffered a 7-2 defeat.

Against Monroe, the Monarchs jumped out to a 2-0 lead, and were up 3-2 after two periods, but the Trojans struck back with three goals in the third period for a comeback victory.

Cabrini’s early lead came courtesy of goals by Dominic Czajka and Brendan Alvis. Czajka’s goal was assisted by Alvis and Corey Dooley earned the assist on Alvis’ goal.

The Trojans scored twice in the second period to tie it up, but Alex Solis put the locals back on top with a goal late in the period, assisted by Alvis and Sheldon Varhol.

Throughout the game, the Monarchs were skating with only two lines and in the third period fatigue caught with them, as Monroe dominated and scored three times.

“(We) battled hard for two periods, but Monroe put on a very hard forecheck in the third,” said Cabrini Coach Bill Alvis. “Our D just ran out of gas in the third.”

On Saturday afternoon, Shrine led 7-0 after two periods, but the Monarchs were able to avoid the eight-goal mercy with two in the third period.

Goals for the Monarchs came from Anthony Killam and Jake Mackie. Varhol and Mackie assisted on Killam’s goal and Varhol and Alvis assisted on Mackie’s goal.

Bill Alvis said sophomore goalie Justin Varhol played strong in the third period, which gave the squad a spark.

Next up for Cabrini is a tournament this weekend in Mount Pleasant.

Last Updated: 12/3/2013 2:27:05 PM EST

Promotions & Specials

See All