We've moved! To view our most current content, click here.
All Soccer - Boys Stories

Soccer - Boys

Soccer: Cabrini starts on a winning note

Game Info

Related Articles

>> View more news

With a mind to repeat last year’s stellar Catholic League season, the Cabrini boys’ soccer team kicked its regular season off on a winning note with a 4-2 home victory over league foe Jewish Academy on Thursday.

Domenic Fusco netted the Monarchs first goal of the season 13 minutes into the game for an early 1-0 lead.

Jewish Academy tied the score two minutes later, but Cabrini regained the lead with seven minutes remaining in the first half on a scoring shot from Nico Gonzalez.

Cabrini was unable to hold the lead entering the half as Jewish Academy scored on a rebound shortly in the waning minutes to tie the score 2-2 heading into the break.

“We did not play bad in the first half and had many opportunities, but (we were) unable to finish,” Cabrini Coach Frank Mlodzik said. “We had a few defense letdowns and gave up two bad goals.”

The Monarchs turned up the pressure in the second half and took a 3-2 lead 10 minutes in when Fusco snuck a shot into the top shelf of the goal from the side of the net.

“That was a great shot with not much room to put it in,” Mlodzik said.

Cabrini maintained control for the game’s duration and Gonzalez iced the victory with a breakaway goal with one minute remaining.

“Overall, it was a good first game,” Mlodzik said. “We need to play wider at times and cut down on our defensive lapses.”

The Monarchs (1-0) took on Dearborn Divine Child on Friday and will get back into league play on Tuesday with a matchup with Detroit Cristo Rey.

Tough loss for GR

Gabriel Richard showed some promise in its season opener on Tuesday, but a tough opponent and a few bad bounces ultimately led to a 3-1 home loss to Royal Oak Shrine.

“Tuesday was a heartbreaker,” Richard Coach Justin Hunter said.

The Pioneers looked tough in the early going and scored the game’s first goal with Nick Gee flipped the ball up to Jasper van Rooijen for a goal in the 25th-minute for a 1-0 lead.

Richard controlled play for much of the first half and went into the intermission with a one-goal advantage.

Shrine came out firing early in the second half, but Richard weathered the storm throughout the early going.

“They came out guns blazing, but we were able to control most of it,” Hunter said. “We started having some kids cramp up and a couple miscommunications with some guys who were in different spots led to some trouble and 1-0 became 1-1 very quickly.”

Shrine tied the score at one 20 minutes into the half and added another goal five minutes later.

“The tides quickly turned on us and I thought Shrine played very well,” Hunter said.

The visitors would add another goal with less than 10 minutes remaining to secure the two-goal victory.

The Pioneers were not without chances in the second half, but a combination of bad luck and good goalkeeping kept Richard off the board.

“Gee hit the cross bar twice and Nate Parks and Nick Hammond had some good opportunities,” Hunter said. “Their goalkeeper played out of his mind. He was phenomenal. He came up with a full extension with about 10 minutes left to prevent a tie.

“We dominated that game, but we got put on our heels pretty quickly in the second half and didn’t recover.”

Richard (0-1) had a week to regroup and will travel to Jewish Academy on Tuesday.

Last Updated: 8/30/2013 3:43:14 PM EST